Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Another idea at stupid o’clock

At about 2am again (up feeding the tacker), I got thinking about an idea I had a while back about making sunglass covers – and how exactly I would make them. So my thoughts were technical based… and I had to write them down before going back to bed.

Which got me thinking about all you other creative types out there. Surely if we’re all that similar (according to one of Lara’s posts, it’s frighteningly clear that were are that similar), how many of you have found yourself in this situation:

You go to bed (apparently tired) and your mind ticks over with a few ideas. One idea leads to another, hours pass and you haven’t slept yet, you try to convince yourself that sleeping is good and that’s why you’re in bed, your mind still ticks over with ideas. Enough is enough you think, you get up to write all these ideas down otherwise you’ll never get to sleep. However, sometimes this isn’t enough to get back to sleep, so you give in and continue thinking away until your mind has run out of ideas in its own time ;o)

Some of my best ideas come to me at these ridiculous hours, so I have learnt that sometimes giving in is better than fighting the fact that I should be sleeping instead. These times don’t happen often though, if I had to think of how often, I’d say about 3-4 times a year maybe?

2 comments:

Lara said...

heh interesting. I read about so many people who suffer this affliction, yet it never seems to happen to me. I hear so many creative folk say that they're bubbling over with ideas, but sometimes I have so very few ideas it makes me feel not like a 'real' creative person.

I suppose the benefit of not having many ideas means that I dont get paralysed with ideas-overload, and just run with whatever comes to me first. That said I envy ya, even if it is sleep depriving ;)

Unknown said...

I know what you mean. Before I go to bed I start thinking about things I can do, ideas for drawings, prints, bags. If I'm not doing that then I'm thinking, why didn't I do this this and this today?

As for the blog roll (that name always makes me laugh, I think it sounds too much like bog roll), do it in the blogger template. You need to find the right spot, which is near the bottom, and always check your previews to make sure it is in the correct spot. I think there might also be an website that can do it automatically, but I have not looked at it so I'm not sure of the name.

Thanks for the photoshop advise as well. Your prints are fantastic by the way!